mercoledì 2 gennaio 2008

Apple? non fa per me...

Yikes, I am locked in.

The one thing I learned from this, is I am currently locked into Apple stuff. I didn’t quite realize it until now though - it never really hit home. For example, if I moved back to Linux I would have no way of syncing my iPhone. I also have an Airport Extreme, and near as I can tell, I can’t edit any of the Airport settings from Linux. Let alone my iTunes purchases. Wow, I am toast.

Ciò che ho imparato da questa storia è che al momento sono bloccato fra i dispositivi Apple. [...] Per esempio, se tornassi a Linux, non avrei modo di sincronizzare il mio iPhone. Possiedo anche un Airport Extreme [una sorta di router wireless potenziato e griffato, a quanto ho capito n.d.b.], e per quanto ne so, non posso modificare alcuna impostazione dell'Airport da Linux. Non parliamo dei miei acquisti su iTunes. Wow, sono fritto [spero si traduca così n.d.b.].

I always imagined I could just install Ubuntu on my Apple hardware if it ever got down to it, but it seems that it is not that easy. By the way, hats off to the open firmware guys and yaboot - I was impressed that Ubuntu actually could install on and support most Mac hardware.

Ho sempre immaginato che avrei potuto semplicemente installare Ubuntu sul mio hardware Apple, ma non sembra così facile. [...].

If you are running intel hardware, you are not likely in this same boat. You can probably use boot camp to easily dual boot or use vmware.

My lesson learned here is - single vendor lock in is limiting on your personal maneuverability, no matter how cool the products seem to be. If the company you are hooked in with starts putting out stuff you don’t like, the economy takes a dump and you can’t afford their stuff, or you disagree with something, your options are limited.

La lezione che ho imparato qui è - il single vendor lock in è limitante sulla vostra libertà di movimento, non importa quanto cool il prodotto sembri essere. Se la compagnia cui siete agganciati inizia a cacciare roba che non vi piace, l'economia fa schifo e non potete permettervi la loro roba, o se non siete d'accordo con qualcosa, le vostre opzioni sono limitate.


Invito caldamente chiunque passi di qui a leggere il post completo


dimenticavo... BUON ANNO A TUTTI!!!

0 Comments: